Monday, January 11, 2010

When Was The Last time You Did Something For the First time

I just came back from a short vacation from Bombay on one of the airline carrier.

I have flown many a times on this sector but what I experienced on this one was a 'First Time' for me.

Have you heard the saying "When was the last time, you experienced something for the First Time"

It was a hilarious incident considering the grim situation I was in.

The flight took off from Bombay on time that can be considered a 'First Time' on this carrier. I must say the service has improved drastically and on-time arrivals and departure are becoming a habit with them as well.

The flight was normal until about 10 minutes before landing.

Being an staff ID ticket holder, I had to wait till the last minute to get a seat and I happened to get the center seat in the middle column on the last row. That was a 'First Time' as well.

The seat belt signs are flashed on. The flight descends for landing; the flight gets a bit shaky [rather very shaky] due to turbulence. I have experienced turbulences before but this one was the worst turbulence I have come across [First Time] The engine sound did not sound normal either.

All I could do during this jittery period is pray and think “Will I see my near and dear ones or is this the end of it all". I was pretty much sure that every one on this flight would be thinking the same, as I looked around for expressions.

Just a few rows in front of me, I can see this man in stripe shirt get up and walk toward the rear end of the plane to attend to natures call at this critical moment of the flight. He had a very grim face, guess it really must have been urgent or was the turbulence a cause for this urgency? The flight attendant quite patiently instructed the gentleman to return to his seat and he very unwillingly did. Poor soul, Cruel flight attendant.

I could hear the landing gears come down and we are just a few minutes off the ground. Suddenly I hear a voice "Ma'am, there is a man standing". It was the flight attendant informing her senior.

I was like... "What!!”

I peeped over the front seat and there he was standing up on the centre seat, least bothered about the turbulence, least bothered of his near and dear ones, least bothered about his prayers. He has more important agenda on hand, Birds eye view of Dubai. Surprisingly, none of the passengers around him bothered to disturb his enthusiasm. The flight is in such a stage that the flight attendant themselves cannot move from their seat. So what do they do? Like a military commander came an order right from the rear of the flight "SIT DOWN" The voice must have traveled all the way to the cockpit. I am sure the pilots must have confirmed to themselves if they were seated. Cruel flight attendant.

The gentleman ends his scenic endeavor.

The descend is still on . The flight is about a few 100 feet off the ground and again I hear the military commander voice. "GET BACK TO YOUR SEAT"

Now what, I ask myself.

I peep over the seat again.

Is it the same gentleman?

Nope.

This is another adventurous character. He is one above the previous nerd. This guy is actually taking a stroll along the aisle. The moment the commanding voice was heard this guys like a school kid just turned around and got back to his seat. Cruel flight attendant.

The flight makes a smooth touch down, full credit to the pilots. They managed it under such 'Commanding' situation.

What I saw or rather heard as soon as the flight landed was unbelievable.

It was faster than the fastest guns in the west. The moment the plane made a touch down, that very moment (not a moment later , not a moment sooner, amazing timing) I could hear 'Clicks' all around the flight. Was there some contest open on the flight for the 'Fastest Seat Belt Openers' that I was not aware of? Did they feel like bonded labour due to the seat belt restraining their free movement?

I will never know.

The flight has landed and finding its way to the bay. Our gentleman in stripes, he cannot take in any more. 'A man's gotta go, when a man's gotta go' he walks back toward the lavatory. The flight attendant tries to persuade him to sit but there is no stopping him, he marches on, he has to GO. He gets near to the flight attendant and sheepishly tells her in her ears. "Madam, urgent".

I knew it had to be urgent.

All these incidents together in a span of 10 minutes really amazed me and I really thank each one of these comic characters in letting me drain out the turbulence fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment